Here are some travel tips for how to get to Lofoten and Lillevik by plane, plus some alternative travel methods.
Flying is definitely the fastest way to get to Lofoten. Check with our booking agency if you need any help.
Go to Lofoten by plane
There are no international flights directly to local airports Svolvær and Leknes, so you need at least one stopover.
Fastest: Fly to Svolvær airport via Bodø
You can also fly to Leknes airport instead of Svolvær, the total time will be about the same.
With the right flights the whole trip takes 5-6 hours from Oslo.
Cheapest: Fly to Evenes airport, then drive
This can be almost as fast as flying to Svolvær.
Getting around in Lofoten
We strongly recommend having a car in Lofoten, unless you are travelling by bicycle or motorcycle. Public transport is extremely limited.
Local Lofoten rental car companies
Here are some local rental car companies, plus the more common larger ones:
- Lofoten Rental Car: https://lofotenrentalcar.no (Svolvær and Kabelvåg, will drive to meet you)
- Rent a car Lofoten: https://www.rentacar-lofoten.com
- Rent a car Moskenes: http://www.rentacar-moskenes.no
- Lofoten Leiebil: https://www.lofotenleiebil.no
- Lofoten Utleiebiler: http://lofotenutleiebiler.com
- Avis (Svolvær)
- Hertz (Svolvær)
- Sixt (Svolvær)
- Budget (Svolvær)
- Rentalcars.com: https://www.rentalcars.com
- You can also try to rent privately with Getaround (used to be “Nabobil” or “Neighbourcar”)
See Location for maps and driving distances to popular sights in Lofoten.
Alternative travel methods
EnTur is often the easiest way to find travels that combine different transportation methods (plane, ferry, bus, etc).
Torghatten Nord runs all(?) the ferries and express boats in the area.
Reis Nordland is the official travel planner, but it’s only available in Norwegian.
- Fly to Bodø (with SAS or Norwegian), take the speed boat to Svolvær (ca. 3 hours). Then drive 35 minutes to Lillevik.
- Fly to Bodø, take the ferry to Moskenes (ca. 3 hours), rent a car, drive 2 hours to Lillevik.
- Drive to Bodø (ca. 17 hours from Oslo), then .. see above. Pssst: Although some people think Tromsø is near Lofoten, it’s still a 6.5 hour drive.
- Drive to Skutvik (north of Bodø), take the ferry to Svolvær via Skrova (ca. 3 hours), then drive 35 minutes to Lillevik.
- Drive to Bognes (north of Bodø), take the ferry to Lødingen, drive 2 hours to Lillevik.
- Take Hurtigruten to Stamsund or Svolvær, rent a car, drive 30-40 min to Gimsøy.