Lillevik and Gimsøya is an excellent base for exploring Lofoten. It is «in the middle» of Lofoten, with most sights and activities just a short drive away. Spend your time on experiences, not moving in and out of different houses.
If you miss people and crowds, Henningsvær and Svolvær are just over half an hour away, and Leknes maybe 45 minutes.
- Groceries, café and gas station: Gimsøy Landhandel, 7 km. We encourage buying as much as possible of the things you need here. The café is nice, with lunch every day, dinner on Wednesdays, and cakes on Saturdays.
- Second closest grocery store: Henningsvær or Svolvær (both ca. 30 km)
- Closest mountain: Hoven (368 m), 1 km.
- Private beach: 100 meters
- White sandy beach: Hov, 1,5 km
Address: Årstrandveien 663, 8314 Gimsøysand. Google Maps knows the place «Lillevik», but does not yet have the right names on the roads at Gimsøya, so try «Vik» or «Hov» and see the maps below.
GPS coordinates: 68.330081, 14.091728
Google «plus code»: 83JR+2M
Weather and temperature
Lofoten benefits from the Gulf stream and is much warmer than one might think, and has a coastal climate, and very varying weather. The graph below shows the temperatures during 2019. See updated weather forecast og historical data at Yr.
See the Webcam page for live photos, and one photo from each day in 2019 to get an impression of the changing seasons.
Driving directions from Svolvær airport
It is fastest, and simplest, to fly to Svolvær. See Travel.
Hurtigruten: Svolvær and Stamsund
Hurtigruten stops at both Svolvær and Stamsund.
Evenes airport (Narvik/Harstad)
Cheaper than Svolvær, but also a longer drive. See Travel.
As small as Svolvær airport, with different timetables.
Hauklandstranda and Uttakleiv
World famous, very popular. For early or late. See: Kvalvika beach hiking guide.
The world’s best preserved fishing village.
Ferry connections to Værøy, Røst and Bodø. See Travel.