Lillevik is a comfortable, cozy and completely remodelled vacation home in a fantastic location on Gimsøy in the Lofoten islands – above the arctic circle.
Lillevik is the perfect base for exploring the Lofoten islands – it is quiet, but central: Gimsøy is “in the middle” of Lofoten, with lots of sights and activities just a short drive away. See Location and the Gallery!
The large panorama windows in the living room give a great view of the northern lights and the midnight sun – and also sea eagles, seals, otter, porpoises (dolphins), foxes, owls and maybe a weasel.
This part of Gimsøy is exceptionally quiet, even for Lofoten. Less than 200 people live at Gimsøy, and a large part of the island is a nature reserve.
Everything you need is nearby: Gimsøy Landhandel with groceries, café and gas station is 7 kilometers away, there is 1.5 km to the long, white sandy beach at Hov, and a 40 minute hike up to the summit of Hoven (368 m) with an impressive 360° view. Local towns Henningsvær and Svolvær are around a half hour drive away. See Location and Travel for maps and travel distances.
Gimsøya has superb conditions for watching the northern lights and the midnight sun. There is open sea towards north, with no neighbours or anything else to block the views – and no light pollution. Even Lofoten locals travel to Gimsøy to get the best conditions. At Lillevik you can experience this right where you live.
About the house
The house was built in the 1960’s and went through an extensive two-year full rebuild in 2018-2020. All windows, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc. is completely new. The original atmosphere is preserved, with modern standards and great attention to details. The yellow color is a traditional Lofoten color.
Lillevik is now a modern «retro» house with everything you expect in 2022. You get an authentic northern Norway experience, with all modern comforts.
The house’s plot is 92,000 square meters (92 hectares, or 23 acres), and the private beach is just 100 meters from the house.
There is a 100+ page binder with lots of information in the house and Lofoten in general, with our best tips and recommendations for getting the most out of your stay. You can also download it: Lillevik house book (PDF).
Welcome to your home away from home!
- Large living and dining room with panorama views of the ocean and mountains, with both northern lights and midnight sun (see the gallery):
- Cozy lounge area with “retro” furniture by the large windows
- New fireplace with glass on three sides
- Reading corner by the bookshelves
- Four bedrooms sleeping 7-8 adults, all with 200 cm (78″) long beds with new mattresses/beds (see the gallery):
- Yellow bedroom: Two 90 cm beds (35″) that may be put together for one “king size” bed: Sleeps two
- Blue bedroom: Two 90 cm (35″) beds: Sleeps two
- Pink room: One 140 cm (55″) bed: Sleeps one or two
- Green room: One 90 cm (35″) bunk bed: Sleeps two
- Spacious kitchen and dining area for 8-12 people, connected to the living room
- New, fully equipped kitchen with new, top quality appliances: Fridge, freezer, cooking oven, dishwasher, coffee machine, microwave, waffle maker, etc. There is also a larger freezer in the basement.
- Two bathrooms (see the gallery):
- First floor: Main bathroom with shower. Heated floor.
- Ground floor: Small, with toilet. Heated floor.
Parking, garden, beach, etc
- Parking on the house’s lot for 2-3 cars
- Small terrace by the entrance – for morning coffee
- Large garden with sun all day
- Garden lounge chairs
- Two hammocks between the trees in the garden
- High quality 10×42 Nikon binoculars for spotting wildlife
- Weber charcoal barbecue grill
- Trampoline in the garden
- Private beach just 100 meters from the house
- WiFi: 75/10 Mbit (free and unlimited, works in the whole house)
- No TV, but you can stream anything using the fast WiFi
- New washing machine, and outdoor clothes lines and indoor drying rack
- Large basement with separate entrance, for storing bikes, skis, etc
- Workshop in the basement for doing small repairs, waxing skis, etc
Hardly any cars drive on the road past the house maybe five cars per hour – no need to worry about traffic.